Unplanned pregnancy is a global public health issue

Despite a decline over the last 30 years, from 2015 to 2019, nearly half of all pregnancies were unplanned.1,a Through education, information, empathy and conversation, let’s help reduce the stigma and work towards lowering the rates.

Globally, there were on average,121 millionunplanned pregnancies annually from 2015 to 2019.1,a

More than 1 billion women have a need for family planning, but for270 millionof them, that need for modern methods is unmet.2

The average U.S. woman spends~30 yearsavoiding pregnancy (¾ of her reproductive life).3

    What do you think is missing from the conversation about unplanned pregnancy?


    0/160

    To report an Adverse Event or Product Quality Complaint with a specific Organon product, please contact the Organon Service Center.

    You can call the phone number given below 24/7 for any product-related emergency. Regular hours of operation: Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. ET

    Contact Organon Service Center | Report an Adverse Event | 844-674-3200

    1. Bearak J, Popinchalk A, Ganatra B, Moller A-B, Tunçalp Ö, Beavin C. Unintended pregnancy and abortion by income, region, and the legal status of abortion: estimates from a comprehensive model for 1990–2019. The Lancet Global Health. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(20)30315-6/fulltext. Published July 22, 2020. Accessed August 24, 2021.
    2. Kantorová V, Wheldon MC, Ueffing P, Dasgupta ANZ (2020) Estimating progress towards meeting women’s contraceptive needs in 185 countries: A Bayesian hierarchical modelling study. PLoS Med 17(2): e1003026. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1003026
    3. Guttmacher Institute. Unintended pregnancy in the United States. https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-sheet/unintended-pregnancy-united-states. Published January 9, 2019. Accessed August 24, 2021.
    a. This estimate from a 2020 study published in Lancet Global Health is based on annual averages for the specified five-year period with 80% uncertainty intervals, which correspond to the 10th and 90th percentiles of the posterior distributions. These intervals signify that there is a 10% chance that the true outcome is below the interval and a 10% chance that the true outcome is above the interval. Rates represent the number of events per 1,000 women aged 15–49.
    b. According to Kantorová et. al, modern methods of contraception include female and male sterilization, the intrauterine device (IUD), the implant, injectables, oral contraceptive pills, male and female condoms, vaginal barrier methods, the lactational amenorrhea method (LAM), emergency contraception, and other modern methods such as the contraceptive patch or vaginal ring.

    At Organon, we listen to women’s healthcare needs, big and small, because we know there’s so much more we can do.